I am sure this has happened a hundred times, but when it happens to you it is a whole different story. Tonight we went over to the swimming pool (we got a pass this year). Anyways, we were sitting in the baby pool when Cole gets out of the pool to run to the gate. I was watching him for a couple of seconds and then he goes running to the other pool and jumps in the deep end! It felt like it took me forever to open the gate and run across the pavement and hurl myself into the pool to grab him! I am yelling at the lifeguard and I hate to admit it, but cursing at the same time that they aren't looking! All the while seeing him struggle to get his head above the water and he was trying so hard to kick to the side of the pool. Cole was pretty worked up, so we had to go sit down on our towels. I just held him for quite a while so we BOTH could calm down. I had to explain to him that he can't go running without mom and dad and then I had to point out to him which pools were too deep where he had to be with us or have a life jacket on. Cole is seriously not afraid of anything, I wish he would be sometimes! I think with this experience he will be more cautious and listen to us a little bit more.
In these moments you realize how much they need you to teach and love them. Another one of those moments that I just stop and think about what is most important.